The original heritage-listed, semi-detached building in Kirribilli was designed by John Bucham Clamp in 1906 and was notable for its attractive asymmetrical façade and feature tower. The building required modern solutions to continue to house a young, dynamic and expanding family.
The site presented many difficulties including a lack of privacy from neighbouring apartment blocks, poor external connections and a lack of accommodation. Melocco and Moore’s solution was the addition of a new three-storey zinc topped contemporary tower sleeved into a portion of the rear garden.
The striking addition stitched together the four disparate levels of the residence. It created new and easy connections between the building and the gardens. The contemporary tower functions as a hub which opens in multiple directions on each level. It also acts as a retaining wall to the newly created central courtyard. The courtyard was raised from its original height to directly connect to the main internal living space. In addition to the new tower, refurbishments were undertaken to all parts of the existing building to create a seamless, sophisticated and comfortable family home.
Phil Moore, Stephen Evans, Nick Hibbert
Landscape Design – Spirit Level Design
Planning – Mersonn Pty Ltd
Structural Engineer – Partridge Engineering
Heritage Consultant – Urbis
Hydraulic Engineer Inline – Whipps Wood Consulting