The site was purchased as part of the Dobroyd Point Estate and the original House was built in 1921 in the style of a grand Californian Bungalow.
The residence was drastically altered in the 1970’s by the second owner, where all of the decorative external detail was stripped from the building and replaced with unsympathetic materials.
The client’s brief included the restoration of the main part of the residence, based upon original photographs of the bungalow. Original internal features which had survived the 70’s upheaval, were upgraded and restored.
The rear portion of the home was approached in a different manner with a contemporary overlay. This area contains the new and living spaces which connect effortlessly with the rear yard. Polished concrete floors and warm timber-clad joinery add to a light, open and spacious feel. Changes in floor and ceiling planes denote different spaces. The home extends out into the external yard on three sides, with different zones for a pool, external dining, fire pits, sports/play areas, garden service areas, glass houses and entry verandas.
The final outcome is a generous welcoming family home, with a successful blending of architectural styles from different centuries.
Phil Moore, Charles Kevin, Stephen Evans
Planning – Longitude Planning
Structural Engineer – Partridge Engineering
Hydraulic Engineer – Inline Hydraulic
Land Surveyor – Cibar Surveyors