BIRCHGROVE RESIDENCE 1
Birchgrove House involved alterations and additions to a significant 1889 heritage-listed Victorian Regency residence. The design approach was to reveal and enhance the features of the original building to act as a backdrop to a new living pavilion sited away from the existing building, in the middle of the rear yard.
The new pavilion is designed as a garden room with glass to three sides. It has one simple tilted roof form to provide access to light, cross ventilation and a deep overhang to control the western sun. The roof is also used to capture water for reuse on the site. The separation of buildings creates a new private courtyard accessed directly off the refurbished kitchen which allows solar access to the rear rooms of the original dwelling.
The result is a carefully considered modification that enhances the character of the existing residence and provides an environmentally driven modern family home.