Corner Store Living
The Stanmore House entails alterations and additions to an old corner store, built in 1902. Works included a contemporary refit of the old building and the addition of a new building to create a comfortable residence for two. A complimentary form was added to the rear and a new central articulated entry point was created between the two forms. The integrity of the old shop has been maintained by removing ad hoc additions and visually separating it from the new building. The new addition respects the mass and detail of the old store establishing a harmony between old and new.
Built to the boundary on the north and the east the existing buildings relationship to the street did not allow privacy or security for occupants. The new design, taking advantage of its elevated position on a ridge in Stanmore, situates living spaces on the first floor. The first floor living and dining area leads through to a new eat in kitchen and study that open out to a new balcony. This indoor/outdoor room is covered by a pergola and offers a connection to the sky as well as the surrounding trees and draws filtered light and breezes into the building whilst also maintaining privacy. The bedrooms, bathroom and study are private sanctuaries cocooned on the ground floor.
We’ve recently designed a similar style ‘upside down house‘ in Drummoyne!
Commendation Award, Royal Australian Institute of Architects, NSW Chapter Awards 1996